The Lounge

6264 Posts

Not Cycling : Anti Virus Protection ? Which one? Help.

Computer Antivirus due for renewal in 5, days. I'm using Avast Free! I've used AVG and some other free to use Anti Virus systems. Most of them OK. But after a while they slow your computer down. Anyone using Free Anti Virus Protection for your computer? can you recommend a good (free to use) Anti Virus? or should I bite the bullet and BUY (pay for ) an Anti Virus System? Any help and advise appreciated.
Thanks

1. 3614 Posts

I use Zone Alarm on my laptop... Antivirus plus Firewall (which is fairly common thee days). I think the paid version costs about 30 for 3 licences... i.e. you can install on 2 other computers if you have them (again quite a common feature these days). There is a free version too but probably with limited features.

I use the free version of Avast on my Android tablet and don't have any issues with it. Although you have to root the tablet to be able to benefit from the Firewall. No viruses reported on my tablet so far so in truth I don't know if it is stopping anything or not. But it gets good reviews, so I will stick with it for now.

Finally, SheSpoke and Daughter no 1 use Norton... (I'm not that keen on it... not sure you can get into the nuts and bolts of things in a the same way as Zone Alarm, but I'm told it is ok).

Oh and Finally, Finally... Checkout Ccleaner if you are having problems with clutter and also SuperAntiSpyware to clean up your system and remove adware etc. Both come in free and paid version but be sure to get all of your security software direct from the source (i.e. not from some 3rd party download site) particularly if you are going for the ShareWare versions

2. 6264 Posts

Thanks BeSpoke,
    All helpful information. I may put Avast Free back on or maybe get the upgraded paid for version?

3. 3682 Posts

Check your bank or broadband provider, laptop is protected by McAfee thanks to HSBC and the PC's protected thanks to Virgin media

4. 6264 Posts

fizban Check your bank or broadband provider, laptop is protected by McAfee thanks to HSBC and the PC's protected thanks to Virgin media

Never use on-line Banking.

5. 1369 Posts

Sorry Mostyn, I can't help you. Never bought a PC. On my Mac I use the free Sophos Anti-Virus app but I don't think there is one for PC.
    If I had a PC then VirginMedia provide some PC security applications for free - never needed to look at them.

6. 6264 Posts

allezhopper Sorry Mostyn, I can't help you. Never bought a PC. On my Mac I use the free Sophos Anti-Virus app but I don't think there is one for PC.
    If I had a PC then VirginMedia provide some PC security applications for free - never needed to look at them.

Apple Mac, Best computer system ever. Windows is rubbish in comparison. I'll probably stay with Avast for now.

7. 2093 Posts

Must admit I do pay and as my PC is Vista when I got it ('97) only compatible one was AVG. Renew for 2 years (due soon) and pleased with it. If pc slow do you need to do a clean-up/de-frag?

8. 6264 Posts

MsTree Must admit I do pay and as my PC is Vista when I got it ('97) only compatible one was AVG. Renew for 2 years (due soon) and pleased with it. If pc slow do you need to do a clean-up/de-frag?

Probably does need a wee bit of a clean; and a little tweaking to get rid of the rubbish one accumulates on a computer.
    Someone mentioned C-cleaner to give it a sweep? The anti virus checking seems to take an age when the computer is turned on.

9. 2306 Posts

I use Eset NOD32.
    Have used Norton and Mcafee in the past,but find they just slow down your PC... NOD32 doesn't,and was recommended to me a few years ago.
    I also use C-cleaner and Malwarebytes anti-malware to give a sweep after i've been browsing...

10. 6264 Posts

I've used EsetNod, in tha past - it's marvelous.

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register