The Lounge

Beautiful?

Okay - I used to triathlon 20 years ago ( and TTs ) but bikes like this just didn't exist. And now I love the form of a road bike, with carbon it really has given a new shape to the classic form. But what about this? I find it beautiful in a functional form - like a bridge can be beautiful, or a steam engine. It is born out of a need to do what it is supposed to do - transport the rider to the finish as quick as possible, but the problem arises because the passenger is also the engine.
So, is it beautiful? I think so

1. 2267 Posts

it is beautiful because they've thrown every piece of technology at it and made it the most advanced it could be but they haven't lost sight that it's a bicycle.

2. 5665 Posts

FMIL, just like you, I tried the Triathlon route to absolute fitness, also rode TT's and some RR, and Crits. But, that was a long time ago (30 years or more) and now, I look at the new bikes as a beautiful work of advanced engineering. In my heart there will always be a soft-spot for the older style of road bycycles.

3. 8022 Posts

I like the engineering, the technology and the fact that the bike breaks the UCI stupid rules and Cervelo still have a market to sell them...The bicycle should be developed as a mode of transport first and foremost in our oil depleted world using all available technology to make the bike as efficient as possible, not being dictated by a tiny minority who control the sport...that's like our family cars not being allowed ABS, turbos or even windscreens because F1 don't have them!!!
    As for being beautiful....sorry I just don't see it myself, a traditional bike still works for me. Even in the world of MTBs I've yet to find a full sus I find beautiful yet hardtails are.

4. bfergie I like the engineering, the technology and the fact that the bike breaks the UCI stupid rules and Cervelo still have a market to sell them...The bicycle should be developed as a mode of transport first and foremost in our oil depleted world using all available technology to make the bike as efficient as possible, not being dictated by a tiny minority who control the sport...that's like our family cars not being allowed ABS, turbos or even windscreens because F1 don't have them!!!
    As for being beautiful....sorry I just don't see it myself, a traditional bike still works for me. Even in the world of MTBs I've yet to find a full sus I find beautiful yet hardtails are.

True about the bike should be a mode of transport, but you can still like something if you don't agree with the principle ( for instance I do think the Aston Martin DB9 is gorgeous but I would never buy one ( no, not even if I won the lottery! ))
    And I agree entirely about MTBs - hardtails are tidy, full sus are just plain ugly

5. 2183 Posts

Yes that Cervello is a work of art.. yet it also works as a bike.
    IF i had the money i'd buy one and hang it on the wall of my lounge.. just got the 2 problems:a) I don't have the sort of spare cash that would cost, and b) my lounge walls aint big enough!!

Sorry,but no MTB's are tidy... most are covered in mud :)

6. 5665 Posts

We will turn a full circle at some point; and antique or retro will become fashionable again! The ladies shopper bike is fast returning to popularity! Even my daughter has bought one for comuting to work and local shopping; has the basket and rack fitted! She also rides a conventional road racing bike.

7. 3598 Posts

Retro is certainly fashionable... plenty of fixed and single speeds kicking around and there is still a healthy market for the Cromo and touring stuff.

I like the look of the Cervelo in the same way that I like the look of a Ferrari or an F1 car. I can appreciate all of the engineering and technology that goes into designing and making such a thing.

Is it art...? Yes I think so....
    Would I buy one...? nope.. just not practical for the type of riding I do

8. 155 Posts

I agree with Bfergie , cannot stand the look of these Cervelo Frames.
    They look cumbersome . Don't get me wrong I know they are designed for a particular
    purpose and I dare say do a great job.
    And I have never rode one.
    But as for looks give me an old fashioned steel tubed bike any day.

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register