Tech

Spoke Pattern in Fulcrum Racing 5 Wheels

The Wheels which I got with my Cervelo RS are Fulcrum Racing 5's. I've noticed that whilst the majority of the spokes are black Aero profile those either side of the valve are round silver ones. This applies to both wheels so I dont think its Evans pulling a flanker. Any ideas why this might be??

1. 5515 Posts

Evan's wouldn't be pulling a flanker. They don't build them, Fulcrum are built in a Campagnolo owned factory.
    Answer? It's purely fashion. I have the same on my Novatec Jetfly's (which, incidentally are cracking wheels, well worth the money and punch well above their price!)

2. 2318 Posts

Think i might have the answer for you.. From a product description of the Fulcrum 5's
    'Also unchanged is the presence of Dynamic Balanceā„¢ which, thanks to two oversized spokes, balances the concentration of the rim joint material during wheel rotation.'

3. Thanks guys ask a silly question, get a sensible answer......

4. 5515 Posts

themadchemist Think i might have the answer for you.. From a product description of the Fulcrum 5's
    'Also unchanged is the presence of Dynamic Balanceā„¢ which, thanks to two oversized spokes, balances the concentration of the rim joint material during wheel rotation.'

Or basically, because the spokes next to the valve are heavier the wheels settles there after spinning... Marketing speak above for strenghtening around the valve hole in the rim?

5. 2282 Posts

Read it again Buzz;-) the waffle refers to the joint, opposite side to the hole. The total spoke tension would be of the order of a couple of tons pulling the thing together, the position next to the hole does bugger all. the whole thing is marketing hype.

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register