Tech

6262 Posts

Shimano 105 Pedals?? Do I have a Problem? or Not?

Hi Gent's,
I have a pair of almost new; well done 300, miles or so, new-ish Shimano 105 pedals fitted to my Cube! The right pedal still has a wee bit of stiffness in it (as I would expect) for new-ish pedals, turns nicely - but doesn't spin freely.
Now, the left pedal has free'd up quickly and spins without any effort; also, I've noticed that there is - what appears to be GREASE coming out of the axle near the nurled "SEALED" nut. Not sure there should be grease coming from the axle; and squeezing it's way out? also seems that the pedal has become super slick spinning on it's axis, far too quickly. Any thoughts on this? or am I being overly cautious about it; and worrying un-necessarily? I realise the 105 is a maintenance free pedal, but the right (stiffer) pedal has no grease coming from it; and is nowhere as slick as the left pedal. BTW I like riding with these pedals, so just a concern over the grease and free running of the left pedal.
Would appreciate your view of this situation.
Thanks
M

1. 1369 Posts

I don't remember seeing this on my 105 5700 pedals, but did see what looked like excessive grease on the lefthand R540's after refitting them on my Allez. I'll keep an eye out to see if they are affected. BTW having the pedal rotate freer , for me, is better as it means that flicking it forward when setting off actually gets the pedal level and makes clipping in easier.

2. 6262 Posts

allezhopper I don't remember seeing this on my 105 5700 pedals, but did see what looked like excessive grease on the lefthand R540's after refitting them on my Allez. I'll keep an eye out to see if they are affected. BTW having the pedal rotate freer , for me, is better as it means that flicking it forward when setting off actually gets the pedal level and makes clipping in easier.

I agree! Having the pedal spin freely, is great; but my concern is that, the right pedal has not free'd up as quckly; and there's no grease coming from it! I wonder if there may have been excess grease pumped in to the axle recess on the left pedal during production? Possible? I suppose my concerns are un-founded! I'll just keep an eye on it; and hope the right pedal becomes as free running as the left pedal.

3. 9 Posts

Strangely enough I just noticed the same thing cleaning the bike last night.
    Took advantage of a deal and bought set of 105's few weeks ago. I noticed bit grease coming from both pedal seals, but non-gearset side is definitely running bit more freely.
    Will keep an eye on them.

4. 11 Posts

I have just fitted some 105's and yes i have the same grease issue on both sides! Looks like it is just a case of Shimano loading alot of grease in the bearings! Cant comment on them freeing up alot yet but will keep a watch on them.

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register