Tech

3218 Posts

Garmin Elevation Spikes

Despire "enabling" elevation corrections afetr I downloaded a race the other night I still have a great big "spike" in my profile data.
Anyone any idea how this happens and how to prevent it ?
This is the activity data.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171932682
This is the course data
http://connect.garmin.com/course/1085938

1. 965 Posts

Never had it myself, but it could be elecrical interference, does it happen on every ride or was it just this one?

2. 3218 Posts

Couple of times now, I used to think it happened after switching off and on again (like at a cafe stop) but the last 2 have been on constant runs.

3. 693 Posts

Never had elevation spikes, but my heartrate goes through the roof and I have to correct that in the text file.

4. 3218 Posts

Text file ?
    How would one go about that ?

5. 6351 Posts

johnstrac Couple of times now, I used to think it happened after switching off and on again (like at a cafe stop) but the last 2 have been on constant runs.

Could it be from a satellite black spot, limiting the gps true reading?

6. 1369 Posts

The Edge 500 has a barometric altimeter, so what you shouldn't do is cover up the small hole(s) on the back of Garmin GPS as that's how they test the air pressure. But it sounds like this isn't the case here. Was there a really quick but short tailwind?
    I suppose the spikes are why you are using elevation corrections on Garmin Connect.

7. 693 Posts

Might not be the best way, but this way works for me.
    Upload to Garmin, (Identify roughly the max peak which is out, take a note of the value) download an XML file, open with notepad and then search for the value, and edit to make it match neighbouring values. Save and upload back.

8. 155 Posts

As Allezhopper said the edge 500 has a barometric altimeter.
    I never enable the corrections and have no problem.
    Also with these devices take no notice of the Calories used unless you
    have the Heart Rate Monitor as well .
    Calories read as double when not using heart rate monitor.
    I had to cut down on me cakes !

9. 3218 Posts

I have the hrm but I find if I don't correct the elevations I'm sometimes 200 ft below sea level !

Previous 1 2 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register