Tech

82 Posts

Free Hub Advise/Help Please

hi all
I have a set of old open pro wheels on ultegra 6500 hubs, the free hub has gone does anyone know if I have to fit an ultegra body as I didnt want to spend that much

Thanks
Finny

1. 6199 Posts

Finny hi all
    I have a set of old open pro wheels on ultegra 6500 hubs, the free hub has gone does anyone know if I have to fit an ultegra body as I didn’t want to spend that much
    Thanks
    Finny

Hi Finny,
    Your not talking about the old threaded type of free-wheel are you? The Ultegra Hubs are compatible (I Think) as far as the hub body is concerned - with the 105, shimano cassette fittings; and possibly other Shimano hub bodies and sprockets. But I'm sure Fergie will know! Or you could ask at your LBS. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

2. 82 Posts

Thank mate
    no its not the threaded type I’ll ask at the shop if no one else gets back

3. 9 Posts

You say it is gone? In what way?
    Not sure about this hub in particular, but it may be serviceable. May just need the freehub mechanism cleaned and greased.
    Normally a torx nut holds the body in place on the hub. See if there is a bolt down center and carefully remove the body from hub. Give good clean and inspect for any wear. If not too bad looking re-grease and reassemble.

4. 82 Posts

Hi Mate
    When I say its gone I had no drive so I took it off gave it a good clean and oiled it, felt ok and locked up for the drive fine but when I put the cassette back it feels very rough and noisy so think its had it, didnt want to spend to much so was thinking of putting a 105 free hub on, problem I have is someone has told me I cant, any ideas???

5. 965 Posts

A 105 freehub will fit, but depending on your current cassette it may not fit the freehub, sorry but cant remember which version of ultegra has the deep splines

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register