Tech

39 Posts

Bottom Bracket trouble

Hi,
I bought a second-hand Carrera Virtuoso and built it up to be my summer bike. Took it out for second ride yesterday and the bottom bracket went. I have removed the bottom bracket and it says 'ch-2j' on it. I have put this into Google but nothing comes up which is making me wonder whether I can buy a new bottom bracket for this bike? If someone is able to help me with my problem then it would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

1. 8022 Posts

No bother, the BB that's fitted are one area where Halfords cut corners, they are rubbish. you need a square taper 68mm cartridge bearing (english thread) Go for a Shimano one. It should also state the axle size... 113mm, 118mm, 121 mm etc....if that's not on the casing measure the square taper axle from its outermost edges

2. 39 Posts

Thanks, will get that sorted.

3. 1232 Posts

Most excellent to hear that there's another Carrera Virtuoso fan out there in CDubyaForumLand. I've been delighted with mine and even though its been (hushed tones) surpassed by a Specialized TriCross (same groupset) I just cant stop riding it. Only changes I've made have been Specialized AllCondition tyres (previously used Conti Gatorskins) and a Specialized Riva saddle which, although staggeringly comfortable, even after the recent op for a spot of 'chalfonts', squeaks like a student's bedsprings! I've also popped on a Garmin Edge 200 which tells outrageous lies about my average speed etc! Good riding in the future with yours. What changes have you made?

4. 2576 Posts

Specialized Riva saddle which, although staggeringly comfortable,
    i got one off them on my carrera really good seat..

5. 1369 Posts

NobbyK I've also popped on a Garmin Edge 200 which tells outrageous lies about my average speed etc!

Should've gone for the Edge 500 with speed and cadence sensor. Y'see with the sensor you can tell it the wheel circumference and it works the speed from that. Sooooooo, to 'correct' the speed data you need to make sure you enter a nice big number for the wheel and then every revolution you go further :D That's what you get for the extra dosh, the ability to fine tune the results!

6. 1232 Posts

allezhopper Should've gone for the Edge 500 with speed and cadence sensor. Y'see with the sensor you can tell it the wheel circumference and it works the speed from that. Sooooooo, to 'correct' the speed data you need to make sure you enter a nice big number for the wheel and then every revolution you go further :D That's what you get for the extra dosh, the ability to fine tune the results!

Allez, I have longtime admired the cut of your jib! Messrs Wiggle please rush me the aforementioned Garmin device tout suite! My credit card details are... (DELETED FOR LEGAL REASONS) Other bike shops are available.

7. 1512 Posts

allezhopper Should've gone for the Edge 500 with speed and cadence sensor. Y'see with the sensor you can tell it the wheel circumference and it works the speed from that. Sooooooo, to 'correct' the speed data you need to make sure you enter a nice big number for the wheel and then every revolution you go further :D That's what you get for the extra dosh, the ability to fine tune the results!

I know an old boy who switches off his computer on the long climbs on his training routes, thereby achieving a superb average speed for the route.

8. 1369 Posts

tonybv9 I know an old boy who switches off his computer on the long climbs on his training routes, thereby achieving a superb average speed for the route.

Having a good chuckle at that one :) Smart!

9. 6352 Posts

Allez,
    It's now become clear why you buggers are quicker on paper than Nobby an Myself. Your cooking the average MPH books? Hey, if I turned my G200 off on the Hills around here; a 50, mile ride would only register about 10/15, miles; although my ave speed would be about 25mph ...???

10. 2326 Posts

I like how these threads go off at tangents! If Nobby wrote a column for the comic i'd buy it every week :D

If i went with the 'adjusted' speed theory then i achieved the 20mph ave i'm aiming at, as 2yrs ago i got to the edge of the village with an ave of 20.2.. got suck behind a van that kept having to stop,so by the time i got home my ave had dropped to 19.5,which was the quickest i'd had before that ride..and the quickest to date.

Previous 1 2 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register