Tech

2 Posts

Aero cranksets

I watch almost weekly as manufactrers bring out the latest groupsets and drool over perhaps one day owning a top of the range set/bike.
Something puzzles me and that is why when they spend thousands on reshaping things like brake calipers so they are more aero, why have the shape of cranks basically not changed in decades. I would have thought an aerofoil shape would create less drag

1. 8022 Posts

2. 5654 Posts

New 2012 Ridley Noah have aero cranks.

3. 413 Posts

Bet they both cost a pretty penny though.

4. 2282 Posts

Shimano had a sales push on aero components back in the late 70s/early 80s, then somebody did the maths and it turned out the only things to make a measurable difference were rider position and the number of spokes in the wheels. The other benefits were there but way too small to matter. Aero disappeared next season!

5. 5654 Posts

hubbub Shimano had a sales push on aero components back in the late 70s/early 80s, then somebody did the maths and it turned out the only things to make a measurable difference were rider position and the number of spokes in the wheels. The other benefits were there but way too small to matter. Aero disappeared next season!

Just like the Bio-Pace Chain-set, disappeared. Eggs-actly because of it's shape.

6. 2282 Posts

Yup. Fashion victims R Us. Fortunately I didn't fall for either of those.

7. 2182 Posts

I fell for the Bio-Pace :) ...saw no improvement ,apart from perhaps the placebo effect of thinking the odd shaped chainset was making me faster!

8. 3574 Posts

I wonder how much dirty air there is around the crank due to the rotation of leg, peddle, crank to negaite the aero effect along with the changing angle of the crank hitting the air.

9. 3574 Posts

Oh and anybody see the comment in Dr Hutch a couple of weeks ago of wind tunnels can't measure the difference internal cabling bring?

10. 413 Posts

fizban Oh and anybody see the comment in Dr Hutch a couple of weeks ago of wind tunnels can't measure the difference internal cabling bring?

I'm sure i saw that the Mclaren windtunnel could measure the difference but that it was so low it only made a difference at top end speeds for bikes 45MPH, i think that is one innovation that will remain.

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register