Rides

349 Posts

Jogle 2012

I'm planning a jogle next june with a group of 5 or 6. I'm starting my training plan now and we're in the process of planning route and accommodation etc. Planning an 8 day ride with a support vehicle.

We're planning to use the A9 then via Loch Ness on the A82 through to Glasgow and then down to Kendal. Don't know these routes but would appreciate opinions on this route. I'm expecting single carraige but fairly busy roads. Are there better alternatives?

Probable first stops are in Dornoch Glencoe Lanark Kendal. Anyone got suggestions for cyclist friendly accomodation in those neck of the woods?
would appreciate any thoughts and opinions

1. 8022 Posts

Ok there is a nice campsite in Dornoch but don't go all the way to Inverness on the A9, Turn off the A9 and head to Dingwall and take the hill road that takes you to Milton and Drumnadrochit..it's quite hilly but empty, the way you are heading is on the gentle side of the hill. You will get to Dornoch and more in the 1st day, I'd aim to get the A9 over and done with by riding it late in the evening and start heading to the West side. Loch Ness to Spean Bridge is a good road, not too busy and pretty wide too.
    After Fort William has B&B alley..the mile to the south of the town is a solid line of accomodation, plenty of choice all the way to Glencoe village too. After Glencoe you descend to Bridge of Orchy, I suggest you leave the A82 there and head down Glen Orchy, it's a quiet single track road with the nicest bit of river in the area if you fancy a cool down. From there take the road direct to Inverarrey then follow the road over the Rest and be Thankful to Arrocher and Tarbet. This does add a loop to the route but avoids the narrow road along Loch Lomond which is hellish, the traffic and the surface plus gets you into some stunning scenery!!!!
    I prefer to head over the Erskine Bridge instead of going into Glasgow then cut in at Howood to Dunlop, Stewarton to Kilmaurs...again a quiet route but this may be sending you too far West again but from Kilmarnock head to Dumfries via Sanquer and Thornhill, from Dumfries to Gretna.....
    Right it's someone elses turn now you have safely reached Hadrians Wall.

2. 349 Posts

Fantastic! exactly the sort of local knowledge I was hoping for from your good self. Thanks a bunch, i'm sure will follow your recommendations.
    Right from Gretna i think we'll head to Kendal for the next stop, then Shrewsbury(ish) and Weston Super mare or Cheddar. Hoepfully that will leave two slightly shorter days with a last stop at probably launceston. But over to you lot. BFergie has laid down a marker. . .

3. 655 Posts

Having done the Drumlanrig/Radar rides and stopped up there a few times I can recommend the Thornhill Inn in Thornhill if you want a decent night's sleep, good food and a decent pint.

4. 2282 Posts

There's an Old A9 former main road which cuts out the A9 and the A82. Check out the routes on the cyclists touring club forum end to end board. The acknowledged expert on there is "Mick F". He's done it several times, both ways and once on a Raleigh Chopper for a change!
    South of Gretna I think they use the old A6 over Shap.

5. 5514 Posts

I would suggest a more direct route through Scotland. There is a now tarred cycle path from Dalwhinnie down through Drumochter Pass to the Bruar/Blair Atholl turn off on the A9. It runs parallel to the road about 30 feet away. This would cut out the A82 by Loch Ness and believe me, that in the summer is a nightmare road - loads of tourists, caravans and johnny foreigner types driving hire cars too. All hazardous to us cyclists. Using the new tarrd path/old A9 would bring you on quiet roads from Inverness to Perth - From there its down through Fife to skirt by Edinburgh on quiet roads and into the borders to Carlisle on the same. Much less hilly and more direct, and you can tag on to the old A6 at Carlisle.
    John O Groats is a shithole and an embarrasment to Scotland. If it was me I would leave from Dunnet Head - Most northerly point, it's about 10 miles west of JOG. Best hotel locally is The Park Hotel in Thurso, good food, large portions, good selection of beers, comfy beds and a quiet easily found location. (Girl behind the bar was very easy on the eye last week too.....!!)
    Why do it North to South? I would suggest the opposite way is more palatable, as the prevailing south westerly winds would mean doing it heading south would mean much more risk of headwinds....????
    It's something I'm considering doing next summer, LEJOG instead of JOGLE though!

6. 8022 Posts

Your route may be more direct but not as pretty!! West side is far nicer and is the point of the ride just to do the end to end as fast as possible or to see the country...Go West, Life is peaceful there
    Go West In the open air
    Go West Where the skies are blue...Sorry but it had to be done! :p

7. 349 Posts

Thanks for suggestions. The reason its JOGLE and not LEJOG is logistice really, easier to get back from Cornwall to Suffolk and getting met by partners etc
    Will probably stick with the scenic west route too. Don't plan on stopping at JOG either. The plan is fly to Inverness, minibus to JOG and straight on it!!
    Will check out the old A9 and A6 as well

8. 1175 Posts

Have to agree about the A82. At best it is less than pleasant, and in any of the months without an R in them, it's an intimidating nightmare composed of RVs, caravans, tourists driving along whilst looking anywhere but through the bloody windscreen, vans & trucks racing to achieve unrealistic delivery targets between Inverness, Fort William and Glasgow - you get the picture. At least you have an alternative, for the Inverness-Fort Augustus section, of taking the General Wade Road on the east side of Loch Ness, a delighfully scenic road that brings you within touching distance of the loch on a number of occasions. However, once at Fort Augustus there is once again no alternative to the A82. It's bearable as far as Invergarry, but then becomes utterly nasty again, particularly the drag strip along the stretch bordering Loch Lochy, which is where the world and his wife tailgates everyone else at 65-70 mph, and consequently has not a snowball's chance of seeing a cyclist ahead in sufficient time to prepare the correct overtaking procedure. Not only that, but this Easter it was Pothole Central, an utter disgrace. A little further on, you have the possibility of avoiding another section, by turning off at The Commando Memorial and taking the back road, following the Caledonian Canal, into Fort William.
    If you should decide to use the eastern A9 cycle-route option, and end up in Edinburgh, I can recommend making a beeline to Peebles, from where there is a delightful road through Eskdale down to Langholm and Longtown. I'll leave you there, for someone else to pick up!

9. 8022 Posts

I always like riding the Loch Lochy section and always liked the surface plus it's nice and wide, in fact the whole of the Highlands road surfaces are great, certainly compared to Galloway!!! and never found the traffic a problem and I'm not used to traffic at all! The good thing is tourists never hit the roads until 10am at the earliest so up until then they are empty. The back road into Fort William is a nice wee route.
    Whenever I do a long ride in summer I like to set off at 5am or earlier in mid summer and be finished the 100 miles by midday, gives plenty time to go a walk, stretch out, eat, rest and sleep. Plus it misses the heat of the day, heat being anything above 18c!!

10. 5514 Posts

An 8 day end to end isn't just done to look at the scenery at touring pace bfergie.... Yes the A9 and Scottish Borders isn't as nice as the A82 - But it's still goddam nice and scenic! Inverness down to Dalwhinnie is great, Drumochter pass is dramatic, the ride down to Perth/Edinburgh is on scenic and quiet roads.
    Doing 120 miles in a group of 6 guys a day isn't likely to be done starting at 4am to have a decent breakfast to be finished by noon either.
    The fact it's a group ride with minibus support is even more reason to avoid the A82 IMO.

Previous 1 2 3 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register