News

5515 Posts

the second letter is a good one in this link....

I sometimes wonder - Slow news day? Editor being a fud? Or Editor found it funny too??? As I say, second letter down....

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Opinion/Readers-letters/article/22230/april-18-it-would-be-good-if-craig-brown-s-attitude-spread-across-football-playing-world.html

For me the scene the writer's letter conjures up is this - He is pootling along, probably a Sunday morning, in no hurry, probably driving an Austin Allegro, and he's on a pretty wide road. The A94 near Perth in sunny Scotland. Could well be my club run, or a Perth or Dundee club run, only time you will get riders on this road really.
Writer is incapable of passing cyclists riding 2-up. (And cyclists not breaking the law as he claims.....) Google map Perth aerodrome and streetview it south towards Scone/Perth, you'll see what I mean. The road used to be 3 lanes with a suicide lane in the middle....

And to make yourself look even more inept and out of touch, you suggest a solution that cyclists should push their bikes along in the gutter when Allegro driving old farts want to pass you. Then you let a regional newspaper print your name and address all over t'internet. To be fair, the old duffer probably doesn't realise that. I think that's called a fail...... Some people really should just give up.

1. 8022 Posts

Oh dear..is that Pragmatix being a young thug on a bike again!! !!

2. 39 Posts

isn't it amazing how disgruntled motorists generalise about cyclists, & tar everyone with the same brush! Get a life!

3. 2378 Posts

I sometimes wonder - Slow news day? Editor being a fud? Or Editor found it funny too??? As I say, second letter down....
    that letter made me smile what a complete and utter *ickhead:mad:

4. 965 Posts

bfergie Oh dear..is that Pragmatix being a young thug on a bike again!! !!

Oi less of the young, sounds like it was one of my club runs, we use that road a lot, and if you cant pass on that road you shouldnt be driving.
    We allways drop to single file if the road narrows

5. 6077 Posts

George McMillan and the two wheeled terrors! Shouldn't be allowed; blo-ody arogant Scotish Cyclists, pull over and let that man pass!
    There you go George. How's the Dragon?

6. 276 Posts

Having said that the last two weekends here in Perthshire I have seen two really cringeworthy events involving cyclists. The first involved me in my car down a single lane road and a cyclist shooting around a blind corner berated me for being on the wrong side on the road, the second was a cycling event that had part of the route down my private road and nearly every person was breaking the speed limit which ended in an injured child who stepped out in front of the cyclist whilst heading in to my pub with her parents for lunch.

Cyclists get it tight from car drivers but recently I have been very un-impressed with some of the ettiquete.

7. 5515 Posts

CrazyIvan Having said that the last two weekends here in Perthshire I have seen two really cringeworthy events involving cyclists. The first involved me in my car down a single lane road and a cyclist shooting around a blind corner berated me for being on the wrong side on the road, the second was a cycling event that had part of the route down my private road and nearly every person was breaking the speed limit which ended in an injured child who stepped out in front of the cyclist whilst heading in to my pub with her parents for lunch. Cyclists get it tight from car drivers but recently I have been very un-impressed with some of the ettiquete.

you're right Ivan, sometimes we don't do ourselves any favours. however - On a single track road, nobody can be on the wrong side, can they....
    And as you say this cycling event is down your private road, surely you would have to give permission for that - it's your road? And as your private road, who sets and enforces the speed limit? You? sounds like that wasn't done.... What type of event was it? A race? A sportive? A charity ride?
    All clubs in my area have big flourescent signs saying there is a cycling event/race on to warn people, we have to submit risk assessments to the local police, and get permission from them and the local council. Part of that is advising local residents of the event. It sounds like that didn't happen near you, or maybe there's a bit more to your story....
    Etiquette and courtesy should be displayed by all road users but it just isn't. What I never get is motorists who will slow to a crawl for horses that are two abreast and never complain, but the same drivers will blast past cyclists!

8. 276 Posts

buzz you're right Ivan, sometimes we don't do ourselves any favours. however - On a single track road, nobody can be on the wrong side, can they....

And as you say this cycling event is down your private road, surely you would have to give permission for that - it's your road? And as your private road, who sets and enforces the speed limit? You? sounds like that wasn't done.... What type of event was it? A race? A sportive? A charity ride?
    All clubs in my area have big flourescent signs saying there is a cycling event/race on to warn people, we have to submit risk assessments to the local police, and get permission from them and the local council. Part of that is advising local residents of the event. It sounds like that didn't happen near you, or maybe there's a bit more to your story....

Etiquette and courtesy should be displayed by all road users but it just isn't. What I never get is motorists who will slow to a crawl for horses that are two abreast and never complain, but the same drivers will blast past cyclists!

It was a charity ride, and I did contact the organiser afterwards who had not contacted me at all. As a cyclist I have no issues with the ride, I am happy for it to happen, but had the organiser contacted me I could have warned her about the steep descent to the pub which disects the entrance to the pub from the car park. Essentially if you cannot see over the hedgrerow, you can't see the cyclists comming at speed and boom. The issue can be cyclists defensive attitude because of the nonsense we get from a lot of people and as such I got a lot of f off's when asking them to slow down.

Manners in society has evaporated and people are becomming so narcissistic, and coupled with the us vs them attitude drivers have towards cyclists just makes it all very sad to see.

9. 7138 Posts

I sometimes find that cyclists seem offended by my driving behaviour, when at work. I usually have no idea why as I'm a cyclist and am more likely to notice cycling road users and drive accordingly than many non cyclists.
    I annoy car drivers sometimes too. But this is rarely because I'm driving inconsiderately. People are just a bit odd when at the wheel of a car. And some of them probably cycle in the same way, oddly.
    Was there ever a golden age when everyone was polite and considerate on the road? If so can someone inform us when?

10. 4313 Posts

I remember when I was 15 cycling from Essex to the Isle of Skye and back during the summer holidays the same drivers would stop and offer me a drink on different days. It was annoying when lorry drivers stopped to offer me a lift though. That was in the 50s.
    PS I did refuse the lifts.

Previous 1 2 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register