News

2267 Posts

spoty shortlist

the short list is out and I'm quite happy to vote for Cav but of the rest who would you vote for?
it's a pretty decent list full of world champions.

1. 3545 Posts

Probably Button, if I could be bothered to vote which I can't.
    I often wonder why they bother anymore though, it's a meaningless competition.

2. 3614 Posts

Button will win... but agree, its meanigless... as are all popularity contests

3. 2032 Posts

I expect it will be Button but Id prefer it to go to Ennis as she has probably had to sacrifice more to get there.

4. 3654 Posts

Depends if Scotland votes for the Scot again it could be Murray.

5. 3545 Posts

Depends if Scotland votes for the Scot again it could be Murray.

That's the problem with SPOTY. Too many people vote for political reasons, not on merit. Cycling fans will vote for a cyclist, the horsey crowd for one of theirs etc.
    Remember the controversy on here last year over CW's campaign to back Chris Hoy above people like Nicole Cooke, for example. When Simpson won it in 1965 it was after The Comic's campaign had resulted in a huge cyclist's vote for him. They have done nothing people in other sports don't do every year, but that just shows up the true merits of the award.

6. 48 Posts

I think in the case of Murray the fact that it is a Personality award may well rule him out!

7. 3614 Posts

I just take the "personality" bit to mean the person most plugged by the media

8. 2181 Posts

I just take the "personality" bit to mean the person most plugged by the media

So Thats! what Tiger Woods is up to!! :D

9. 3023 Posts

I don't know why everyone gets so steamed up about the SPOTY business. It's just a vehicle to review the sporting year, and, yes, it's a total load of meaningless drivel but that's just what we need to limp us through these dark days of winter...
    Anyway, I'll be doing a total U-turn and voting for Cav... :eek: :eek: ;)

10. 4313 Posts

I'll have to make it Cav too.
    (Not a fan of the motorised playstations.)

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register