Fitness

24 Posts

Cycling fitness info needed???

I am just getting back on my bike. I have not seriusly riden in a while. 6 years ago I was riding 25+ miles a week. But I was getting bad cramps in my legs and the blood would be drained out of my feet. I have lost 22lbs so far this year and am looking to do this right this time. Could any one help me find a protien-carbo drink for the rides before and after. Some diet tips and maybe some stretching tips. I am looking to go beyond the 25 miles a week. Help??:confused:
P.S. I Started with 5 miles two weeks ago a,d I walked around 4 miles in between laps. Trying not to over do it the first day. Last week...6 1/2 miles and 2 miles walking. I am going to try more laps tomorrow evening to start a twice a week run for about a month. Then I will move up to more distance, but I will stay on two days until I take off another 10 lbs.

1. 4 Posts

Cycling is very best exercise for our fitness and Also helps in loss our weight it is a good exercise for every body i like also do this exercise because it maintain our health fresh and also like a walk in a ground.
    We get fresh and fit after do this exercise every body should do Cycling exercise every day.

2. 3 Posts

I've just bought a Turbo trainer for my bike which I'm finding really usefull for when I can't get out.

3. 33 Posts

HPNRC I am just getting back on my bike. I have not seriusly riden in a while. 6 years ago I was riding 25+ miles a week. But I was getting bad cramps in my legs and the blood would be drained out of my feet. I have lost 22lbs so far this year and am looking to do this right this time. Could any one help me find a protien-carbo drink for the rides before and after. Some diet tips and maybe some stretching tips. I am looking to go beyond the 25 miles a week. Help??:confused:
    P.S. I Started with 5 miles two weeks ago a,d I walked around 4 miles in between laps. Trying not to over do it the first day. Last week...6 1/2 miles and 2 miles walking. I am going to try more laps tomorrow evening to start a twice a week run for about a month. Then I will move up to more distance, but I will stay on two days until I take off another 10 lbs.

Hi......bad cramps could mean a hydration problem, so make sure you drink plenty before, during & after. As for diet, I found for me a high protein, high (healthy) fat & low carb works best. I generally will have a bowl of porridge & banana before & a glass of milk & a seeded flapjack after but everyone has their own little preference. I always do lots of various leg stretches, especially for my hamstrings. With you saying you walk, is the route you do hilly?

4. 24 Posts

Hi LizBl,
    Nice to meet you. I worked out the whole thing and so far every thing is working great. I have a Whey Protein shake before, during, and after with stretches before during and after. I am trying to build speed and stamina now. The 3 1/2 mile trip to the lot each way is hilly. I also live at the top of a hill so it is a real work out. Last ride I knocked off 1164 calories and I only consumed 520 for the day so that was great. Even better, I felt fantastic the next day. I am also using Now B-12 instant energy in the mornings. I stoped drinking coffee and needed the extra Umf in the morning. The green tea is good for other things but, not great for energy. What do you think? I am trying to get ready for the ride for a cure..Diabetes next month. I figure at least 25 miles maybe 50. I have to map out the roads before I go. Still sorting out the saddle, handle bars, and maybe even some slicks. Your thoughts?? But it should be a great time. Talk to you soon. Gil

5. 24 Posts

Hi Jim,
    I have been busy. But I was told by a few freinds to get one of those. They all said the same thing. The endurance you gain from riding regularly in or outside gives you advantages across the board. It is not in the cards right now. But when It gets colder. I will get one. How is it working for you. Gil

6. 2875 Posts

Seriously !? 520 calories in a day, dude you'll die.

7. 24 Posts

Hi John,
    I do not comsume 520 calories every day. I try to keep it from 1500 to 1800. But when I ride. It is mostly protein drinks,, water,tea and some fruit. Are you suggesting that even when riding I comsume more...if so why. I tend to carbo load what ever calories I do consome the day before. What do you suggest. I never adjusted my diet before this month, ever. Gil

8. 33 Posts

An important part of building strength & stamnia is a good diet, correct training & recovery days. I eat high protein to build muscle at every meal source & I make sure I have plenty of carbs prior to training & after. If you don't consumme enough calories, your body will go into starvation mode.

9. 11 Posts

And on 520 a day you are certainly going nowhere fast..... Most men would have a BMR X activity requirement of 2400-2600cals a day womens average would be around 1800?

10. 24 Posts

HI All,
    Happy Belated Mothers day to any one who this applies to. I have been very busy getting my work outs on my bike right. My diet as I said before is 1500 to 1800 calories a day..when I do not ride. I lost 22 pounds that way with no work out at all. Lean meats, fish, chicken, and mostly vegetables. The day before I ride I eat a good size portion of pasta for dinner. I hit the wall once and I do not want that to happen again. I have no doubt that I was dehydrated the last time I did this 6 years ago. But I did not have a diet in place. 2 Raw egg yolks, in my protien drink 4 hours before the ride. Half a banana and hour before I ride. Stretches for ten minutes just before. A protien drink on one bottle (watered down Mixed with crushed ice and a vitamin B-12 energy mixed in) and a diet gatorade to replace electrolytes towards the end and after the ride. That is my plan. So Far it is working great. I started to ride a little over 2 months ago and I am feeling stronger. I rested for the last two weeks and I rode 12 miles last night. I was only riding once a week. I plan to ride 6-10 miles every other day Until the Ride for a cure, Diabetes. Resting 2 days before the Ride should do it. Any one have some thing that could help me more? Please let me know? I want to get as many miles in that day as is possible. I hope to hear from you all soon. Have a great day and a Great ride. Gil

Previous 1 2 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register